No one wants to deal with a broken key in a lock, but it’s an unfortunate reality for many homeowners. While it may seem daunting, you can follow some simple steps to remove a broken key from a lock without causing any damage. With patience and the right tools, you’ll learn how to get a broken key out of a lock in no time.
The first thing you’ll need to do is gather the right tools for the job. You’ll need a small screwdriver, a pair of needle-nose pliers, and something thin and strong (like a metal nail file or credit card) that you can use to leverage the broken key out of the lock.
How to get a broken key out of a lock in 5 Steps
- Insert the point of the screwdriver into the top of the keyhole and apply gentle pressure until you feel the plug inside move.
- Use the needle-nose pliers to grab the broken key and pull it out as far as it goes. If the key doesn’t budge, try twisting it slightly as you pull.
- Wedge the thin metal object into the space between the plug and the doorframe, being careful not to apply too much pressure lest you damage the doorframe.
- Use leverage with your metal object to push or pull the plug until it pops out of place, allowing you access to remove the broken key from the inside.
- Once you have removed the broken key, insert your new key into the lock and turn it until it clicks into place. Test that The new key turns smoothly before returning all your tools to their rightful place.
Following these simple steps will help you remove a broken key from a lock quickly and without damaging either the lock or doorframe surrounding it. In most cases, this will allow you to insert your new key and get back to business with little fuss.
Next time, you can avoid these incidents by giving maintenance to your locks; here is a guide for lock maintenance that will help you keep your lock working smoothly.
However, if The new key does not turn smoothly or the old key breaks off in the process, it’s best to call a professional locksmith who can help assess further damage and make necessary repairs. Our 24 hour locksmith in Phoenix has key extraction services at very affordable prices.