There are a few reasons you may need to learn how to remove a deadbolt lock. Maybe you’re moving into a new home and want to change the locks, or maybe your current deadbolt is damaged and needs to be replaced.
Whatever the reason, removing a deadbolt lock is a relatively simple process that anyone can do with a few tools and some patience. Here we will show you how!
Before you get started, there are a few tools you’ll need to gather:
Learn How to remove a deadbolt lock in 7 steps
- Screwdriver (preferably Phillips head)
- Hammer (optional)
- WD-40 or another industrial lubricant
Once you have your tools, follow these steps to remove your deadbolt lock:
- If your deadbolt has a cover plate on the inside, use your screwdriver to remove the screws that hold it in place. If there is no cover plate, move on to step 2.
- On the outside of the door, locate the small hole in the center of the knob. This is where you will insert your screwdriver.
- Insert your screwdriver into the hole and turn it clockwise until you feel resistance. At this point, you may need to use your hammer to tap the screwdriver’s handle so that it remains snugly in place while you turn it.
- Once you’ve turned the screw far enough, the knob should pop off easily. If it doesn’t, try wiggling it back and forth until it comes loose.
- With the knob removed, you should now be able to see a small metal pin in the center of the locking mechanism. This is what’s known as the retaining clip and what’s holding everything together.
- Use your screwdriver to remove the retaining clip by gently prying it out of its socket.
- You may now remove the entire locking mechanism from the door by pulling it straight out. If it’s stubborn, WD-40 or another lubricant can help loosen things up—be sure not to get any on yourself or anywhere else, as it can be difficult to clean off later.
And that’s all there is to it! In just a few minutes, you’ve learned how to remove a deadbolt lock; you can also have a brand-new deadbolt installed and know that your home is safe and secure. Thanks for reading!
Whether you’re moving into a new home or simply want to change up your current locks, removing a deadbolt lock is a quick and easy process that anyone can do with just a few tools and some patience,
But if you are unsure how to do it, call our residential locksmith in Phoenix AZ to get the help you need!